Committee Meeting Minutes for 1961
A meeting of the Committee of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in Rathbone Hall, Liverpool at 8.45 p.m. on Thursday, 7th September, 1961.
- Professor E T Davies was appointed Chairman.
- Dr F Rhodes was elected Secretary and Treasurer and was co-opted onto the Committee.
- The minutes of the Committee meeting held at Royal Hplloway College in 1960 were read and approved.
- Professor P Hilton's report on the 1961 Gulbenkian Conference was commented on by Professor A G Walker.
- It was agreed that the next Colloquium should take place at Southampton from 10th - 14th April. The Committee approved Professor Davies' proposal that the practice of charging an advance registration fee of 5/- should be discontinued.
- An informal offer of hospitality from the Royal Military College of Science at Shrivenham, for the 1963 Colloquium, was received from Dr W N Everitt. It was suggested that the meeting might be held from 3rd - 7th September.
- Professor D Rees informed the Committee that the Council of the London Mathematical Society had offered to advertise the Colloquium information, without charge, in some publications. After some discussion it was agreed that the Chairman should discuss the matter with the Secretary of the L.M.S.
- It was agreed to invite two foreign guest speakers to the Southampton Colloquium, possibly both from America. It was recommended that the National Science Foundation should be asked to help with grants for American speakers.
- Professor Walker drew the Committee's attention to the British Council grant of £16-5-0 paid to each of the two foreign guest speakers. This grant covered accommodation charges and subsistence during travel. It was recommended that the British Council should be approached for a grant towards foreign guest speakers at the next Colloquium.
- The Committee expressed thanks to the retiring Chairman and Secretary.
Minutes signed by W N Everitt 12 April 1962.