Committee Meeting Minutes for 1981
A Committee Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in Room A, St Catherine's College, Oxford on Wednesday 1st April, 1981 at 8.30 pm.
Present: Professor R Brown, Professor M F Atiyah, Professor P M Cohn, Professor I M James, G R Allan, R J Archbold, R A Bailey, B Bollobas, C J Bushnell, A R Camina, A W Chatters, T A Gillespie, C Kosniowski, A C McBride, H E Rose, D J Wright.
Also attended: W B Stewart.
- Professor R Brown was elected Chairman.
- Dr D J Wright was elected Secretary.
- The minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 10th April 1980 were taken a read; no matters arose.
- The Committee appointed Mr C C H Barker as Treasurer.
- There was a general discussion of organisational matters. It was agreed that there seemed no need to make any changes in the present basic format.
- Professor P M Cohn agreed to take charge of liaison with publishers in regard to the organisation of the book exhibition. It was felt that it would be better to have someone providing continuity over a number of years in this area.
- A list of possible speakers for 1982 meeting in Bangor was prepared; the Chairman was given power to send invitations on the basis of the list, but also to be free to vary the list if required.
- The possibilities for 1986 B.M.C. appeared to be Hull and St Andrews. As a further future location Exeter was mentioned. The Chairman would pursue this matter.
- It was agreed that the British Theoretical Mechanics Colloquium and the Mathematical Association be informed of the dates of the future B.M.C.s and that the possibility of cooperation over dates for the future be explored.
- It was decided (in view of inflation) to approach the L.M.S. and E.M.S. over the possibility of increasing the size of their present guarantees.
The meeting closed at 10.30 pm.
Minutes signed by John Hubbuck (undated).