General Meeting Minutes for 1972
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in the Boyd Orr Building, University of Glasgow, at 2.00 p.m. on Thursday 6th April 1972.
Professor R A Rankin was in the chair.
- The Chairman welcomed the guest speakers: Mme Lelong Ferrand, Prof T A Springer and Prof J Myhill.
- The minutes of the General Meeting at Canterbury were read and approved.
- The accounts for the 23rd Colloquium were read and approved.
- The question of whether or not Colloquium Proceedings should be published was raised; there was no enthusiasm for any positive action, and the matter was quickly dismissed.
- Dr Dunwoody, on behalf of the University of Sussex, invited the 1974 Colloquium to Sussex. The invitation was accepted with acclamation. The dates for the Colloquium were given as 1 - 5 April 1974.
- The following retired from the Committee:
Dr J H Conway, Prof D E Edmunds, Mr C J Graddon, Prof K Gruenberg, Prof J M Howie, Prof W Ledermann, Mr J E Reeve.
The following were elected to the Committee:
Prof I G Macdonald, Prof J Eells, Dr M J Dunwoody, Prof B E Johnson, Dr I R Porteous, Dr R A Walton, Dr R J Wilson.
- It was announced that the Committee would meet at 8.30 p.m. in Wolfson Hall Senior Common Room.
- The possibility of using some of the accumulated funds of the Colloquium for a 25th Birthday celebration was raised, and referred to the committee meeting.
- Prof M E Noble proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman, Secretary and others who had helped in arrangements for the Colloquium.
Minutes signed by I G Macdonald on 28.3.73.