General Meeting Minutes for 1978
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in the Faraday Lecture Theatre at the University of Lancaster on Thursday 6th April 1978.
Dr G J O Jameson was in the chair.
- The Chairman welcomed the guest speakers: Professor J Milnor, Professor R Phelps and Professor H Wielandt. The Chairman also remarked that the Committee of the British Mathematical Colloquium was especially grateful to Professor Wielandt, who had agreed to stand in for Dr J Conway at extremely short notice.
- The minutes of the General Meeting at the University of Edinburgh were read and approved.
- The accounts of the 29th Colloquium were approved.
- On behalf of the University of Oxford, Dr W B Stewart invited the 1981 Colloquium to Oxford. The probable dates would be 30th March - 3rd April 1981. The invitation was accepted with acclamation.
On behalf of the University College of Wales, Professor R Brown invited the 1982 Colloquium to Bangor. The probable dates would be 30th March - 3rd April 1982. The invitation was accepted with acclamation.
- The following retired from the Committee:
Professor A W Goldie, Mr B M Hurley, Professor I G Macdonald, Mr J E Reeve, Dr G P Scott. Dr R M W Wood.
The following were elected to serve on the Committee:
Professor C A Rogers, Professor D G Northcott, Dr R C Vaughan, Dr W B Stewart, Dr C Kosniowski, Dr T H Jackson.
It was noted that in accordance with the agreement linking the Colloquium with the E.M.S. & the L.M.S. the nominated members of the Committee were:
E.M.S. :- Professor D A R Wallace & Dr J D P Meldrum,
L.M.S. :- Dr P McMullen & Dr D Singmaster.
- It was announced that the Committee would meet at 8.00 p.m. in Furness College Senior Common Room.
- Any Other Business.
After some discussion, it was resolved to post a petition, for signing by individuals, calling for the release or fair trial of the Uruguayan mathematician Luis Massera.
- Professor A M Macbeath proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman, Secretary and others who had helped in the organisation of the 1978 Colloquium.
Minutes signed by C A Rogers (undated).