References for William Rankine
Version for printing
- E M Parkinson, Biography in Dictionary of Scientific Biography (New York 1970-1990).
- Biography by Ben Marsden, in Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford, 2004).
- Biography in Encyclopaedia Britannica.
- D E Channell, Rankine : William John Macquorn Rankine, FRSE, FRS (Edinburgh, 1986).
- J B Henderson, Macquorn Rankine : professor of civil engineering and mechanics in the University of Glasgow, 1855 to 1872 : an oration (Glasgow, 1932).
- B Marsden, Engineering science in Glasgow : W J M Rankine and the motive power of air, University of Kent at Canterbury PhD thesis (University of Kent, 1992).
- H B Sutherland, Rankine : his life and times : lecture delivered before the British Geotechnical Society at the University of Glasgow on 13 December 1972 to mark the centenary of the death on 24 December 1872 of William John Macquorn Rankine (London, 1973).
- L D B Gordon, William John Macquorn Rankine, Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinburgh 8 (1875), 296-306.
- K Hutchison, W J M Rankine and the rise of thermodynamics, British J. Hist. Sci. 14 (46) (1981), 1-26.
- K Hutchison, Rankine, atomic vortices, and the entropy function, Arch. Internat. Hist. Sci. 31 (106) (1981), 72-134.
- B Marsden, Engineering science in Glasgow : economy, efficiency and measurement as prime movers in the differentiation
- an academic discipline, British Journal for the History of Science 25 (1992), 319-346.
- P G Tait, William John Macquorn Rankine, Glasgow Herald (26 Dec 1872).
- P G Tait, William John Macquorn Rankine, Glasgow Herald (28 Dec 1872).
- K Umenaga, Rankine's contribution to thermodynamics, Bull. Fukuoka Univ. Ed. III 28 (1978), 35-43.
- William John Macquorn Rankine, Proc. Roy. Soc. London 21 (1873), i-iv.
- William John Macquorn Rankine, Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Science 1 (1873-4), 276-278.
JOC/EFR February 2005
The URL of this page is: